China has unique trademark laws and procedures. The danger for many companies doing business in the ‘Middle Kingdom’ is that “you don’t know what you don’t know.” Known for her talent to spot issues that appear harmless in Western legal systems, Amy brings a wide array of IP experience and strong language and cultural fluencies to the table. Put simply, she gives peace of mind when it comes to IP in China.
Amy focuses her practice on advising Western companies on trademark, copyright, and international business transactions in China and other Asian countries. Amy has pursued cases through all levels of China’s system and had achieved over 100 opposition wins. She has worked with policy makers from the U.S. and Europe on trademark arbitrations, criminal counterfeit seizures, and product recalls. She often assumes the role of a business advisor because of her ability to articulate differences between Eastern and Western systems and to turn large volumes of raw data into meaningful, actionable branding strategies.
Amy has drunk hot tea in August in Shanghai with AIC and PSB officials to push for raid actions. She has worked through freezing blizzards in Beijing to win landmark cases and set important precedents in China’s unfair competition law. Because of her wide array of IP experience, she was selected by China’s former Deputy Secretary-General of China’s Trademark Association as the only Western attorney to work on China’s very first trademark textbook for the Western world.
Amy is a unique blend of both Western and Chinese cultures. As one general counsel put it: “China is a wild west; IP strategies are like a whack-a-mole game. Often, the advice from counsel offers little guidance to business. Amy is the rare exception. She does not just say, ‘this is how China does it,’ she actually tells you why, and then provides legal strategy and steps that make sense. I can now finally have an intelligent conversation with my business executives.”
• Cleared 300+ trademarks in both the English and Chinese languages;
• Advised Fortune 100 companies about sourcing, manufacturing and retailing in Asia;
• Designed and successfully executed anti-counterfeiting programs from Korea to India for clients in the following industries: sports & fitness, hospitality, fashion, consumer electronics, logistics, and semiconductors;
• Obtained victories in China including rare preliminary injunctions from the Chinese courts.
• Over 10 years of large U.S. law firm experience in trademark litigation, online take-downs (Alibaba, Tao-bao), licensing and social media (Weibo), and obtaining official recognition of well-known trademarks.
• Leading Trademark Individual, recognized by WTR (2020, 2021)
• ABA International Special IP Task Force (2019 - present)
• ABA China IP Committee (Vice Chair, 2019-2020) (Chair, 2021-Present)
• 2019 China Press Coverage (July 2019)
• INTA Committee Member (Enforcement Division) (2018-2019)
• INTA Committee Member (Public and Media Relations Committee) (2016-2017)
• INTA Committee Member (China Subcommittee) (2014-2015)
• China Subject Matter Expert at Read Write (an US tech blog with 6+ million readership)
• Bar Membership: New York (2010); Georgia (2007)
Full list here
• National Taiwan Normal University, 2002, magna cum laude
• University of Georgia, School of Law, 2007, cum laude
• Georgia, 2007
• New York, 2010