As primary outside patent counsel to companies ranging from garage start-ups to Fortune 500 corporations, Chad King understands that an optimal intellectual property strategy necessarily must be informed by a client's business strategy. With the knowledge that one size most definitely does not fit all, Chad provides value by tailoring his clients' IP strategy to ensure that the investment in IP is reasonable in light of each client's business situation.
Clients also appreciate Chad's unusual breadth of experience within intellectual property. Most of Chad's clients look to him for patent prosecution, strategic portfolio management, pre-litigation counseling, and opinion work in both patents and trademarks. Chad also has extensive experience in adversarial proceedings, including inter partes review and other proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, as well as intellectual property litigation at the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal courts.
Chad's practice focuses primarily in the areas of telecommunications, semiconductors, software and electronics, and medical devices. Many of Chad’s clients are involved with computer and communication technologies, including semiconductor design and fabrication, electronic consumer devices, animation software, Internet security, global navigation, database and applications software, electronic commerce, and network hardware.
• Electronics and Software
• Mechanical and Medical Devices
• Trademark and Copyright
• Colorado “Super Lawyer,” 2015-present
• Clerk, Hon Jerry E. Smith, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2000-01
• Colorado Bar Association
• American Intellectual Property Law Association
• Colorado Software and Internet Association
• “Abort, Retry, Fail: Protection for Software-Related Inventions in the Wake of State Street Bank & Trust Co v. Signature Financial Group, Inc.,” 85 Cornell Law Review 1118 (2000).
• Cornell Law School, J.D., 2000, magna cum laude
- Senior Note Editor
- Order of the Coif
- John M. Olin Scholar
• University of Colorado, B.S. Civil/Environmental Engineering, 1995
• Supreme Court, State of Colorado
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
• U.S. Court of Appeals (Fourth, Fifth, and Tenth Circuits)
• U.S. District Courts (D. Colo., N.D. Ill.)