Dan is looked to by clients as an advocate and counselor to resolve their intellectual property disputes and to protect their ideas and innovations. He approaches each client issue as a unique situation that requires a unique solution. Whether the solution requires a simple negotiation or complex litigation, Dan works with each client to develop a solution that best fits each client's situation.
Dan’s practice focuses on all aspects of intellectual property law, including litigation, prosecution, and counseling. Dan has extensive litigation experience, including first and second-chair trial experience before federal courts throughout the United States, the United States International Trade Commission, and private arbitration. Dan has also represented clients in adversary proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including patent reexaminations and trademark oppositions. Dan also counsels clients on patent prosecution and portfolio management, trademark and copyright prosecution and counseling, and intellectual property licensing issues.
Dan has advised clients in a wide range of technologies, including litigating patents covering memory systems, semiconductor processing, telecommunications systems, and financial transactions.
Prior to joining Swanson & Bratschun, Dan was a partner and associate at Kilpatrick, Townsend, and Stockton, LLP from 2005 – 2013 and an associate at Morrison & Foerster, LLP from 2001 – 2005. Before joining the legal profession, Dan served as an engineer officer in the United States Army and United States Army Reserve.
• IP Litigation
• Patent Prosecution
• IP Counseling
• “Rising Star” in the area of Intellectual Property by Colorado's "Super Lawyers"
• Listed in Managing Intellectual Property as IP Star
• Listed in IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
• A founding board member and past President of the Colorado IP American Inn of Court
• Colorado Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
• Denver Bar Association
• Colorado IP American Inn of Court
• University of Denver College of Law, J.D. (2001), with honors, Order of St. Ives
- Denver University Law Review, General Editor
• United States Military Academy at West Point, B.S., Civil Engineering (1994)
- Graduated first in his class in Civil Engineering
• Colorado Bar
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
• U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado