Whether staking a claim to their IP for the first time, or looking to expand an already developed portfolio, clients trust Francis to provide practical guidance grounded in his knowledge and experience navigating the complex IP landscapes of today. Francis is sought for his ability to help his clients efficiently build effective and valuable IP portfolios.
Francis practices intellectual property law with a focus on U.S. and foreign patent prosecution, U.S. trademark prosecution, portfolio management, and opinion work. Francis is experienced in advising clients of all sizes, from small startups to Fortune 500 corporations. As a result, he appreciates the need, at all scales, to provide strategies tailored to each client's unique goals in developing their IP.
Francis has extensive experience in a wide array of electrical, software, and mechanical technologies. He has drafted patent applications and successfully obtained patents for telecommunications systems and devices, cloud networking and computing systems, artificial intelligence and machine learning systems and devices, the Internet-of-Things, semiconductor memory devices, semiconductor fabrication systems and processes, navigation systems, avionics, medical devices, optical systems and devices, MEMs devices, nanotechnology, food processing and packaging, and many other client innovations. Francis also has experience prosecuting design patent and trademark applications. Francis finds great enjoyment sharing in a client's excitement for their IP, and he takes pride in producing work that reflects that energy and enthusiasm.
• U.S. and Foreign Patent prosecution
• Opinion work and infringement analysis
• Freedom to Operate
• U.S. Trademark prosecution
• Portfolio management and analysis
• Post-grant proceedings and litigation support
• Colorado Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
• Colorado Bar Association, IP section
• Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Colorado
• Presenter, Willfulness after Halo, October 19, 2017, Colorado IP American Inn of Court
• Presenter, Inter Partes Review: The IPR Games, January 19, 2017, Colorado IP American Inn of Court
• Court Reports, Spring 2010, University of Denver Water Law Review (13 U. Denv. Water L. Rev. 528)
• University of Denver, J.D., 2012
• University of Colorado, B.S. in Electrical Engineering 2007
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office