Many challenges stand between your flash of creative genius and the development of a successful business. Jim helps you navigate these challenges to create valuable intellectual property assets. Jim is approachable, knowledgeable, and ready to work with your team. He is comfortable digging into technical details with your engineers and presenting an understandable, efficient strategy to your leadership. Jim strives to become a long-term partner with your business.
Jim’s expertise is patent prosecution in the fields of materials science, electronics, photonics, and medical devices, among other areas. He has significant experience with freedom-to-operate opinions, infringement and validity opinions, licensing agreements, and due diligence reviews. Jim also advises clients in trademark law.
Between 1986 and 2000 Jim practiced with a prominent Denver area general practice law firm. He gained extensive business reorganization, business transaction, and litigation experience, which is useful when counseling clients in the business and transactional aspects of intellectual property law. Jim also learned as a young lawyer how to sit down with clients, listen, and understand their needs.
• Electrical and Computer Technology
• Solar Energy and Clean Technology
• Materials Science
• Mechanical Devices
• Medical Devices
• Litigation Support
• Colorado Bar Association
• American Intellectual Property Law Association
• Colorado Cleantech Industry Association
• Colorado Software and Internet Association
• Colorado School of Mines, B.S. Engineering – Electrical Specialty 2003
• Indiana University School of Law, J.D. 1986
• Purdue University, B.S. Natural Resources Mgmt. and Environmental Science 1983
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2001
• Colorado State Bar, 1987