When a complex life-sciences technology, in need of protection, presents thorny or subtle legal questions, Tony Sanny brings a comfortable understanding of the technology together with a thorough grasp of the legal issues. Known for taking challenges in the protection of innovation and reframing them into tangible steps toward achieving the protection sought domestically and globally, clients know that their research and development investment is in good hands with Tony.
As a patent attorney in the biotechnology and chemical arts, Tony represents companies from the start-up stage to those with billions of dollars in annual revenue. He focuses on patent prosecution, protecting the commercial value of his client’s technologies and counseling clients with respect to the competition, whether in the form of freedom-to-operate opinions, infringement/invalidity analyses, due diligence reviews and patent portfolio management.
With a doctoral background in molecular biology, Tony truly enjoys delving deep into the intellectual property issues presented by an array of technologies, such as molecular diagnostics, antibody therapeutics, gene therapy, plant varieties and pharmaceuticals.
• Life Sciences
• Tony is an inventor on award patents U.S. 9,309,540; U.S. 9,045,779; U.S. 8,790,911
• American Intellectual Property Law Association, Biotechnology Committee
• American Seed Trade Association, Intellectual Property Committee
• Colorado BioScience Association
• “Current Legal Issues in Intellectual Property Rights and Protection for Crop Plants” Crop Science 55(6):2496-2503 (2015)
• “Engineering of ethanolic E. coliwith the Vitreoscillahemoglobin gene enhances ethanol production from both glucose and xylose” App. Microbiol Biotechnol 88(5):1103-12 (2010)
• Illinois Institute of Technology, Ph.D. Cell and Molecular Biology, with Highest Honors
• University of Colorado School of Law, J.D.
• University of Colorado Leeds School of Business, M.B.A.
• University of Chicago, B.A., Biological Sciences, with General Honors
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
• Illinois State Bar
• Colorado State Bar